Morning musings

I'm not sure which situation I'd prefer if I had the choice: having the kids up and down out of their beds throughout the night, or a good night's sleep that ends at 6:04 AM (on a Saturday). Okay, so I guess I really would prefer the latter in most cases. But damn, we've got to teach Younger Son how to tell time. I fear that when he gets into a big boy bed, which could be in the next six months, he's going to be up even earlier.

That said, I'm blogging from the kitchen table with my second cup of coffee (that tastes just fine today) and my youngest at my feet playing with, quite appropriately, one of a hundred Playmobil sets that presented themselves in our house this past Christmas. (Update: he's now tucking small woodland animals into the fly of my pajamas and I never thought I would ever type that sentence.)

As is the norm, the kitchen radio is on the CBC Weekend Mornings, where Stan and crew are playing all the ground-hog related music they can find, along with various media clips regarding the Family Scuridae, including bits from Groundhog Day - though I haven't heard the "don't drive angry" quote that sends Sween and I into hysterics. And after hearing the forecast of rain turning to freezing rain and a ten degree drop in temperature to below freezing, I put my money on getting the Groundhog's voicemail this morning and seeing him in, oh, a month or so. But that's just me.

2:21, by the way. And also, I think this might be the only tolerable movie with Andie MacDowell in it. SCTV Alumni can do miracles, no?

Happy Groundhog Day. If you do see one in your part of the world, buy him a coffee for me.

Lesley said... 11:42 AM, February 02, 2008

I know of a parent who put a fishtank with a lamp in her child's room and plugged it into a timer. The boy could not get out of bed until the light came on. Timers like that work well with young children who can't tell time...might be worth looking into :)

Alison said... 11:56 AM, February 02, 2008

The Boy has been climbing out of bed at 4:45 or some other ridiculous hour from the time he was in a big boy bed--18 mos maybe? Finally now he sleeps til 6:30 or 7. He's almost 5. Before, well, Thomas was our friend, we'd get up with him, plug in a Thomas dvd, and go back to bed til the end of the dvd.

That's a new use for playmobil though. I have had dinky cars driven up inside my jeans from my ankles to my knees. You'd be surprised just how many dinkies you can fit inside one leg of your jeans. Well, maybe you wouldn't be surprised, after your recent playmobil experience.

Steph said... 11:56 AM, February 02, 2008

I would rather have kids wake me up than what made my eyes open wide this morning: Going down to the basement to grab the laundry only to realize that I WAS WALKING IN WATER!

To quote Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers:
Cursed, screechin' merciful God and the sufferin' mother of MOSES!!!!

Sump pump to the rescue.

(I'm just really glad my nieces were still in bed when I started shouting, "Shit! Shit, shit, shit!"

Steph said... 11:56 AM, February 02, 2008
This comment has been removed by the author.
doow said... 2:55 PM, February 02, 2008

Fantastic. I pressed the space bar to jump down to the comments ... and the Groundhog Day trailer started playing again.

themikestand said... 3:18 PM, February 02, 2008

doow: how appropriate!

Karen said... 3:39 PM, February 03, 2008

I think it worked. It's a beautiful springish day here.

The waking thing: I sympathize. This is why they invented TV and frozen waffles.