Twenty years ago someone tried to put Baby in a corner

Yes, folks, it's been that long since Dirty Dancing came out. Truthfully, I don't think I've seen the movie all the way through more than once, despite Ted Turner's thrice-annual insistence.

However, even today The Lovely Wife and her lifelong friends can't help but rehash the entire dialogue whenever they're together. At any gathering, it usually takes about an hour of catching up on what's new, who's pregnant, engaged, divorced, or not-so-secretly gay, before they start reminiscing about how many VHS copies of Dirty Dancing they destroyed through repeated viewings, and how when the first one lost all audio, it didn't bother the viewers one bit, since they knew it all by heart and could perform some sort of pubescent overdub with ease.

Part of me doesn't want to alert her to the big cinema screening of the movie this week, for fear she'd make me go. Then again, it might be worth it. After all, how could I resist hearing her imitate Baby's sister, Lisa (I had to look that up, I swear) as she sings:

and you can wackle all you wanna, you can wackle while I walk away,
and you can wackle all you wanna, you can wackle while I walk away, away, away, away!

Ahh, 1987. Where hast thou gone?

Good times, good times.

Lesley said... 11:34 AM, April 26, 2007

I, like many of my gender, LOVE that movie. So romantic. Sigh.
(I wonder if Grace will totally flip out if I turn off Sesame Street to watch DD...)

FrozenExtremities said... 12:23 PM, April 26, 2007

Thanks for the "How to make Lisa feel old" moment for the day. :P

I think I should go out and buy a copy to celebrate, haven't seen it in ages.

Woman with kids said... 3:21 PM, April 26, 2007

If it wasn't showing on a weeknight, I'd totally go. I mean, Patrick Swayze, the good years? How can you miss it?

cronznet said... 6:57 PM, April 26, 2007

The film was ok and suited Swayze's overacting--very swoonishly handsome overacting-- better than any other, but the 1987 films I own are Moonstruck and Witches of Eastwick. Cher in the good years just can't be beat!

chRistine said... 9:19 PM, April 26, 2007

alright, obviously i have to be the voice of objection. i am 36 and freaking HATE that movie. patrick swayze is gross, and the plot is lame. however, the musical DD is coming to toronto as a mirvish production and i've already bought my mother tickets. poor dad, he'll have to go with her.

who the heck names their kid baby?

themikestand said... 1:23 PM, April 27, 2007

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't think it was a good movie. But there's no denying it was a fixture on the 80s.

Tanya said... 2:06 PM, April 27, 2007

They didnt name her "baby". her name was francis but her nickname was baby because she was the baby of the family :-)

I've seen this movie so many times!
and like many of my gender list it has one of my faves and can resite certain pieces of dialogue into every day conversation. *sigh*

brandy said... 12:10 AM, April 28, 2007

Man. I love that movie. Just even thinking about it makes me do this weird smile. Patrick Swayze. I'm swooning. Still.

chRistine said... 11:53 PM, April 28, 2007

i obviously haven't watched the movie enough (unless, like me, and like titanic, once was more than enough.. yikes) to know that her name wasn't baby.

and mike, a "fixture of the eighties" would be 'pretty in pink' or 'sixteen candles'. THOSE movies i could recite and relive repeatedly.