St Patty's: A Retrospective

Things I learned going out for drinks with Sween of spacemonkeypants and his lovely wife on St. Patrick’s day night, to an Irish-themed Pub with a questionable sound system and an impeccable sense of timing:

1. Murphy’s Law is especially applicable when it comes to pub sound systems, and as soon as you promise all night Irish music, you’ll have major glitches that force the band to not finish even a single song before the system craps out.

2. Great Big Sea and the Rankin Family can, in some strange way, pass as vaguely “Irish” music. Neil Diamond, Blue Rodeo, and Simon & Garfunkel cannot.

3. When mocking the band, it’s best to first be sure you’re not doing so within earshot of the lead singer’s mom.

4. If you’re looking for a good way to pass time while waiting between the band’s abbreviated “mini-sets”, a betting pool on which verse will be cut-off is a good place to start. Guinness is another.

5. Shouting out “Just the cougars!” right before the audience-participation portion of Sweet Caroline might make people at your table laugh, but it’s probably not a good way to make friends with neighbouring tables.

Alas, there were no green waterways in this Seaside Town this weekend. But a green harbour would have been totally a bitchin' sight.

jenny said... 6:17 PM, March 19, 2007

hey! i know that river! the only day of the year where we're actually proud that it's green.

canadian sadie said... 6:50 PM, March 19, 2007

So sorry I missed out!!! 'Just the Cougars!' is sooooo much something I would have enjoyed. :) Anyway...there's always next year. Or next month, or something. :) Isn't there always an occasion coming up?

corgimom said... 6:55 PM, March 19, 2007

Your celebration was much livelier than ours, lucky boy, but our sound system did work all night...I do mean all night, alas. Bushmill's can be real kick, right in the head!
Schlanche! (or something like it).

SRH said... 10:00 AM, March 20, 2007

I just cleaned the house. I envy your celebrations

chRistine said... 10:14 AM, March 20, 2007

i would have pee'd my pants laughing at the cougar comment. great stuff. we're coming to halifax, btw, probably in august. sadie.. i think i might need a place to stay. know anywhere that *isn't* prone to fire? i'm kidding :)

Tanya said... 10:29 AM, March 20, 2007

isn't the harbour already kind of green with the pollution and all? ;)

i'm sorry...that was totally uncalled for. my bad. *slap*

Sassy said... 12:07 PM, March 20, 2007

My St. Patty's day included getting nailed in the face by a rather tightly packed snowball as I drunkenly made my way back to my car on Saturday night. Knocked my glasses off (thank God Hubby noticed and picked them up for me) and left my eye red for the rest of the night. Slainté!

Dustin said... 3:58 PM, March 20, 2007

Okay, I'm lost. "Cougars"...? I'm gonna chalk my not-so-unusual-beweilderment to either 1. My tender age, 2. My non-Canadian citizenship, or 3. The fact that you're a dirty drunk who enjoys making obscure references.

Lesley said... 4:11 PM, March 20, 2007

Um Mike...if you look real hard, you'll see our fine harbour is tinted green. Just slightly though. Watch the water churning when the ferry heads out, you'll see it then.

themikestand said... 4:38 PM, March 20, 2007

jenny: It is an awesome shade of green, I must say.

sadie: You name the occasion, we'll try to be there.

corgimom: It was a late decision to finally go out, but worth it. No Bushmills, though. I can't pry my wallet open enough for it. Soon.

srh: Didn't I see you bragging about napping for 3 hrs and still getting your house cleaned? Intriguing.

christine: Glad you'd agree with the table-humour. You're welcome to camp out in our backyard this summer. We'll even give you a flashlight.

Tanya and Lesley: It's not that festive type of green, but you're sort of right. I much prefer that lovely shade of blue-green you get in the tropics, though.

sassy: ouch! I hope you weren't driving home half in the bag, sans glasses, and one eye shut!

dustin: We clearly need to hang out more and cure you of those shortcomings.