From warm hearts come warm heads

Several months ago, as if through some cosmic anomaly, my blog picked up a new reader: Steph. I'm not sure how I happened upon her blog in the first place, but it was likely due to me wondering if anyone in this seaside town was blogging anything interesting. And I instantly found there were many people nearby.

And they're blogging about knitting.

Commenting a couple of times on some pretty cool things that were coming off their needles, I somehow became a knit-blog fan, even though I don't knit. Also, and I stand to be corrected, but I think my kids became some sort of unofficial mascots for some of these bloggers.

Then here, and offline, I not-so-silently whined to Steph about a personal situation, one in which my mother in law, a world-class knitter, seems to have produced something for every family member and most of The Lovely Wife's friends' children. She even knit something for TLW's brother in law, which is reason enough for a urban-white-boy throwdown. Steph mentioned that the knitting group often does "charity knitting", like chemo caps and those adorable little finger puppet thingies that they give to kids after they've been stuck with needles at the hospital. The Toddler probably has a dozen of these around the house.

Anyway, Steph hinted that if I played my cards right, I too could be a charity case: "Has family who won't knit for him" (I pray she doesn't read this). I jumped on the offer, but wasn't pushy. Then, one day in December, she emailed me to tell me to go pick out a pattern (illustrating the Mr. Moe as a possibility) down to the local yarn shop and pick out some wool. With some help from the wonderful owner, I picked out some wool and left it there for the knitter to pick up.

Shortly therafter, I received an email stating that project charity-knit was on.

One little month later, my inbox was the bearer of this message:

From: Steph
To: themikestand
Subject: *insert fanfare here*

Your Mr. Moe Tuque is finissimo and ready for wearing

Try as I might, I couldn't wait more than a couple hours before hitting the yarn shop to make the pick-up (Steph had Mr. Happy drop it off earlier that day). Unfortuntely, my hopes of actually meeting my benefactor were dashed, as she was busy upholding her International Woman of Mystery status. (Fear not, Steph, we will meet, and I will hug you for this.)

I was not to be disappointed. To wit:

The Mr. Moe Toque -- owned, operated, and modeled by themikestand

Steph said... 3:51 PM, February 02, 2007

Oh, I remember when you happened upon the KOL blog... and I think that the Scotch Watch may have had a significant impact on your initial comment.

I'm glad the hat fits and appears to be doing its job well. I'm sure that Moe will be happy to know her pattern has reached the non-knit-blogging world

(the word verification starts with my initials - how weird is that?)

FrozenExtremities said... 5:09 PM, February 02, 2007

Another noggin warmed!!!

Brianna said... 6:20 PM, February 02, 2007

dude. Your popularity never ceases to amaze.
cute hat.

Christine said... 8:52 AM, February 04, 2007

i'd way rather have a hat knit by some person on the internet than by my mother-in-law!

well done!

Angry Little Kenny said... 8:05 PM, February 04, 2007

Cute pic and toque and all, but I don't think it really qualifies as a 'mo toque, because I have several, but none of them look like that...

Charlatan said... 11:01 PM, February 04, 2007

Dude... I so want a tea cozy for my head too.

Colour me jealous.

(of course, I don't have much need for toques in Singapore - unless I am going to the movies)

SRH said... 12:12 PM, February 05, 2007

Sweet1

Lesley said... 1:31 PM, February 05, 2007

Toque looks great...and maybe someday you'll run into the elusive Steph. (Frankly, I don't think you're trying hard enough...you could meet us all in one sitting...see the KOL blog for details...unless you're afraid of knitters when they gather?)

BlogWhore said... 5:16 PM, February 05, 2007

finally, a daddy-blog i can enjoy. i will return.

gingajoy said... 6:42 PM, February 05, 2007

this is a big fat ploy, isn't it? (I remember you asking me "where's my scarf?" about a year ago--because in my "about me" section I said I was on a mission to knit scarfs for everyone I know). heh.

love that hat! being a stitch n bitch myself, i will now go and check out these talented ladies.

and so, Mike, you bring the world together. one knitter at a time.

Sassy said... 11:40 AM, February 06, 2007

VERY cute hat! I wish I could knit. I am sure I can, I just am afraid to teach myself. But, as soon as I am able, I want a tea cozy for my teapot. :-D

themikestand said... 3:57 PM, February 06, 2007

joy: You're the one who offered scarves! What did you expect?

Moe said... 1:13 PM, February 16, 2007

I meant to come find this post weeks ago, when Steph mentioned it to me, but I got distracted and forgot (as per usual).

I am pleased as hell that the hat design is finding good homes and warming heads.

The offer for you and/or the Lovely Wife to join KOL still stands...