Three Bags Full

Not really being part of the knitterati, I feel a little silly sharing this with my readership (both of you). But I couldn't resist showcasing this book and at the same time giving a little shout-out to the Knitting Out Loud (KOL) group*.

And while the book itself could be construed as advocating for the market system and the Political Economy theory of specialization, well, I just thought it was cute. And hey, it's never too early to start brainwashing your kids about the joys of the economic condition in western society.

Progressing through the story, we note that the black sheep in Baa Baa Black Sheep has nothing to share with those around her (no bones for the dog, no slop for the pig, no hay for the horse, no cheese for the mouse) -- but when it came down to it, s/he was one hell of a knitter and came through for her friends in spades.

The Toddler is currently grooving on this book. Your toddler (or significant other) may, too. Worth checking out.

* I am, however, a fan of their work.

FrozenExtremities said... 3:00 PM, October 12, 2006

Hey, sheep AND yarn? I'm in...

SRH said... 11:46 AM, October 13, 2006

All I get to read about is trains.

Kris said... 12:54 PM, October 13, 2006

I do wish someone could knit me a wine cozy.

Steph said... 12:54 PM, October 13, 2006

You know, the KOL group wouldn't mind if you, TLW and the kiddos showed up for an impromptu reading.

themikestand said... 1:04 PM, October 13, 2006

frozenextremities: Yeah, but sheep knitting is kind of like chickens preparing your breakfast omelette.

srh: Oh, I get my fair share of train reading in. But watching The Toddler recite 50 page books from memory is so astounding that it keeps me coming back for more.

kris: stellar idea, but being a white wine type person, you surely don't want to keep it warm. Unless maybe you plan on bringing your bottle to canada and you'd like to keep it from outright freezing.

steph: That would be fun. And since you meet at coffee shops who feature "Fog Burner Blend" and are unaffiliated with hockey players, I can only say that things might be favourable. I'll run that by TLW and see -- but we'll have to be home by 8pm.

Dustin said... 2:24 PM, October 13, 2006

Wait...this story isn't an allegory to racism in colonial america? Suddenly my D- in children's lit. back in college makes sense.

Megan said... 4:37 AM, October 14, 2006

Does she use the wool from her own body (while it is still on her I mean) to knit? I remember a cute book I bought for my nephew- Sheep in a Jeep.
Megan

Kris said... 12:20 PM, October 16, 2006

Good point. I'm pretty much an equal opportunity wino, so we could use it for my reds. ;)