Define me! Define me!

As Freddie Murcury once flamboyantly sang: I want to break free. [I think. Maybe.]

As I'm sure a lot of bloggers internet writers do, I'm considering breaking free of the chains of my current blogging internet writing home.

But, gentle readers, I need your help. You are important to me. I value your judgment. I kneel before your internetty prowess. More than that, I just need you to tell me what to do, because:

1. I don't have the time to research all aspects of this fully;
  2. I'd probably make the wrong decision even if I did all the research; and,
  3. I may be making a terrible mistake (and I need a scapegoat).

The reason I put #3 up there is because while I know some people who have gone out of their way to personalize and build from the ground up (usually with a lot of time and a nontrivial amounts of money involved), others seem to do just fine with mainstream or big-Internet sites like blogger. I'm not sure what I'm getting in to, here. Am I wishing for too much?

The options, as I see them, along with some of the fine examples of brothers and sisters who are doin' it for themselves:

Blogger: mamalikey, corndog and rootbeer, jess riley

Typepad: Tina PoPo, i obsess

Other / Wordpress / Independent: Spacemonkeypants, J├╝rgenNation, Sarcastic Journalist, Daddy Types, Mocha Momma, Chirky

Go visit them. See what I mean? Awesome.

But let's get back to ME here. It's my understanding I need some permutation or combination of the following:

• a Uniform Resource Locator (er... a web address)* and a place/service from which to obtain said URL
  • a publishing tool (that works well with macintosh and which my pea brain can handle)
  • a snazzy website design
  • some hosting services
  • other things?

* at least one of my preferred website names is available, but I'm open to suggestions about other cool names.

So, gentle reader. Ask yourself this: "Do I know anything about this?" "Could I share my experience with Mike to our mutual benefit?" "Do I suffer from unrestrained benevolence and the desire to do something spiffy for Mike?" "Is my empathy approaching its breaking point?" If so, it's time to chime in. Leave a comment, or email me with your experiences/advice.

I turn it over to you. The mike is yours, so to speak.

canadian sadie said... 7:21 PM, October 20, 2006

I know nothing. Well, I know lots, actually, but nothing pertaining to your present dilemma.

The only thing that I know about that with any degree of certainty? Is that no matter where you end up? I'll still be stopping by to visit. I kinda likes reading ya :)

themikestand said... 9:01 PM, October 20, 2006

Aww, that's a very nice thing to say, sadie. and honestly, one argument for "not moving" is so that people will know where to find you should they want to read your stuff. But I guess people do it all the time, right?

Jessica said... 11:00 PM, October 20, 2006

I know even more nothing than Sadie. I will say that several of my blogroll buddies have moved more than once and I always respond by updating their link to follow them.

Arthur Dent said... 2:42 AM, October 21, 2006

For what it's worth, Mike, stay put. Read other blogs. Comment on other blogs. People will follow the back-link to you, and if you're good enough, your audience will grow (she told two friends, and she told two friends, and so on, and so on....)

Oh the horrors of old hair-product advertisements!

Case in point, I wouldn't have found you here if I hadn't followed a link in someone else's comments.

Best of luck to ya in your decision, whatever it may be!

Megan said... 2:44 AM, October 21, 2006

Hmm, yep, sorry, nothing to offer. Well, if you want to write in French I can maybe help. Or abotu electrical engineering, crosstitching, or Agatha Christie.
Megan

Henri said... 3:10 AM, October 21, 2006

Yo Mike, thanks for the plug. You know the Glenmorangie 12 yr vs the Macallan 12 is a much better comparison....mmm Scotch. Oh yeah...hey just stay where you're at. Modify your blogger template if you want a change. Buy your domain and do an in-frame forward to your modified blogger template. Blogger beta has a lot of new features as well so you can switch over to the beta. Here's my site with an in-frame forward (the domain costs like just 5 bucks a year) www.corndogandrootbeer.com

FrozenExtremities said... 7:22 AM, October 21, 2006

I agree with staying put, but noodling with the look of the blog is easy. There's a lot of folks with free backgrounds and teplates and it take very little knowledge to set them up. I've been toying with my blog for a while now to make it stand out (and it needs to look good, the content is pretty dull;)
I'll dig though my links and see what I've got!

lildb said... 1:19 PM, October 22, 2006

godDAMN but I loves me a good pun. of which you have provided several, and god bless ye for it.

p.s. thanks for the link, mister mike.

sween said... 9:58 AM, October 31, 2006

Personally, I couldn't abide going with a hosted blogging platform (like Blogger or Typepad), but then again, I'm someone that needs to get their hands on the inside of the thing and muck around. And I just couldn't stand using a services that crashed so often. :-)

Go with a new template but stick with the Blogger account. There are plenty of successful blogs out there that are on Blogger accounts.

And if you need some tinkering, you know where to find me...