The Toddler is Canadian

Scene:

I'm rushing around the house this morning, and despite the fact that I woke up at 6:09AM and it's now 8:05AM, I'm still not ready for work. Bustling my way from room to room, making sure I have everything I'm going to need for the day, I turn the corner into the kitchen and in the process of dodging the Toddler while he's "playing trains" in the middle of the floor, my foot clips his behind and I nudge him. Though it's totally my fault (the kitchen is big enough that having a small person playing on the floor should not obstruct traffic), he looks up and says:

"Oh! Sorry!"

Yep. Canadians. We'll apologise for anything.

Neglected to hold the door for the ten people walking behind you into a building? "Sorry!"
Somebody bumps you on the street while you're standing still, minding your own business? "Sorry!"
Can't get out of the elevator because some schmuck is hurrying in as the doors open? "Sorry!"

There's a fine line between polite and pathetic, but teaching the Toddler to say, "Hey! Watch where you're steppin'!" is not on my list of things to do.

FrozenExtremities said... 10:36 AM, September 27, 2006

Well there a nature vs. nurture argument if I ever saw one!

jess said... 2:42 PM, September 27, 2006

Now this is why i love being canadian!

sorry.

Her Bad Mother said... 3:58 PM, September 27, 2006

I don't usually hold with arguments about makes Canadians Canadian (especially as pertains to accents, etc.) but THIS, I agree with.

We're world-class apologizers, all the way.

(Thanks for your comment chez moi, btw!)

Sarahlynn said... 10:42 AM, September 28, 2006

Hah! Sorry. (Samantha Bee did a hilarious bit on this on The Daily Show once. I think she's Canadian?)

SRH said... 1:41 AM, September 29, 2006

My kid is from Ohio (so am I) and he apologizes when I run into him. Although it is a gruff sort of apology that borders on order. So maybe he is telling me that I should say, "I'm sorry."

canadian sadie said... 2:22 PM, September 29, 2006

Your toddler is my smaller self! Sitting in the middle of the road, firmly ensconced in being themself, and apologizing all the way. It *IS* the truest form of Canadiana. We do what we want, so long as it doesn't bother you too much! :)

and hey, MIke? Stop kicking your kid. *grin*

jenB said... 8:32 PM, October 09, 2006

i get mocked all the time when in the company of americans for my "im sorry-ness". but i am sorry!

anyhow.

samantha bee and jason jones are married and both canadian. weee