Labour - The Day, not the Kid-Producing Kind

Two years ago we took the Toddler (the then "infant") up to uncle-in-law's cottage. It turned out to be both wonderful and awful, as he was just learning to sleep through the night. Most nights, however, he'd wake up anytime between midnight and 5am screaming. We of course were letting him cry it out, which is not conducive to letting other people in a small cottage sleep, or, so we thought, getting invited back. Regardless, we got the invite and this year took them up on it.

As you've already guessed, Younger son is also now crying it out. Luckily, we had the bunkhouse this year, so we could put both kids to bed and leave the worrying up to the cordless baby monitor.

Things I learned over the weekend:

1. It's been far too long since I've seen The Lovely Wife in a bikini. (I subsequently took too many pictures for which I was later rebuked.) ** Edit: I should add that this is in no way meant to be sexist or lewd; Just that I think she looks fabulous in a bikini.

IMG_2425

2. The Toddler is far more excited about jumping into raging ocean waves than he is about splashing about in calm lake water.

IMG_2429

3. I'm completely and hopelessly in love with Younger Son.

IMG_2449

Other things I learned (for which I have no pictures):
4. I much prefer Scotch to Campari. Evidently my poor memory is to blame for me thinking I ever enjoyed it. Luckily, Uncle-in-Law was more than pleased to accept my gift.

5. One of the inventors of bubble wrap had a cottage just up the road from the Uncle and Aunt-in-Law. Hey, that's what I was told. Who was I to argue with such wild claims?

6. Younger Son can now sleep on his belly. Unfortunately, it also means that he can flip over onto his belly overnight and reverse infantry* crawl his way to the corner of the crib, getting himself tangled up in the bars and demanding that dad come in and rescue him right NOW goddammit. I'm considering moving him back into the Pack n' Play.

*seriously, I didn't see that pun coming.

7. I suck bad at UNO. Like, really bad. I may or may not have been singlehandedly responsible for the guys' team getting shellacked twice in a row.

8. I miss bacon.

Tags: , , , , ,

Powered by Qumana

Dustin said... 9:08 PM, September 07, 2006

Ummm....why for you miss bacon? Hath thou taken a vow of vegetarianism in mine absence?

themikestand said... 9:29 PM, September 07, 2006

I've just been away from it for too, too long. I was very briefly re-acquainted with it over the long weekend, in the form of a Lions Club Pancake Breakfast (that I had to share with a surprisingly hungry Toddler).

Alas, The Lovely Wife hath purchaseth bacon for weekend breakfast. Whee!

Sassy said... 11:20 PM, September 07, 2006

I suck at Uno as well. Badly. Which is why i HATE playing. :)

Megan said... 2:24 AM, September 08, 2006

I miss bacon too. I haven't found it over here yet.
And I surprised she let you post a picture of her in her bikini on the internet. There is no way I would let my husband. :)

Dustin said... 3:25 AM, September 08, 2006

Concerning bacon, glad to hear your other (better?) half procured some for you. Never let anyone say that it's only a breakfast comodity. I'm not sure if you've ever heard of this up in the wilds of Canada where you roam, but here in the good 'ol U.S. of A we have something called a "BLT" which translates to "Bacon," "Lettuce," and "Tomatoe" (or "Tamater") sandwich.

I don't know how to say "BLT" in french, so I hope you got that. (yes it's late, and yes I'm ripping on Canada...but at least I pretended to be a hick while doing so).

themikestand said... 9:03 AM, September 08, 2006

megan: well, I didn't exactly clear it with her, but she was looking over my shoulder while I was writing the entry and didn't have major objections. I think she looks great, but clearly I'm biased.

dustin: were you also drunk while posting that? And we do have BLT, but we call them Poutine. OK, I'm lying. In french, as megan will attest, it might be "la bacon, la lettue, et les tomates". And I really should have brought back-bacon into the picture (Canadian Bacon to you Americans) if I was going to pay homage to a really good piece of breakfast food.

Christine said... 12:08 PM, September 08, 2006

I made BLT sandwiches the other day; I think TLW looks AMAZING (two kids??? i hate her. just kidding); and does the bubble wrap guy's cottage reflect his bubble wrap status?

Dustin said... 2:31 PM, September 08, 2006

I can neither confirm, nor deny your accusations of inebriation.

BLT in french sounds kind of dirty.

Jessica said... 11:17 PM, September 08, 2006

It looks like so much fun...and can I just say how much I love it when you guys put an "ou" where we just put an "o" - too fun.

jenB said... 5:12 PM, September 10, 2006

if i looked like that in a bikini i would wear one EVERY DAY! :-)