Taking the plunge

Today we left the city in the fog and drizzle and 15 degrees celsius and embarked on a short journey to the sailboat, thinking that if nothing came of the sailing trip, at least we'd get a nice little drive in. Half an hour later we arrived at the boat (an Aloha 27, in case you're wondering), and it was sunny and bright and about 25C. Absolutely crazy, but in a good way.

We went on a very fun 2.5 hour sail and Older Son did very well (much better than previous excursions), while Younger Son did only "fairly" well, having a couple naps when he could think of nothing better to do. Unfortunately, for the adults, there was little respite from the heat; the choice being the cockpit with the sun high in the sky or down below enduring the fun of the ocean swells and the intermittent spinning of the propeller and the regular heeling of the boat. It didn't seem to bother the children.

We got back to the dock and put our feet in the water and debated going in, considering we had no swim gear with us. Luckily, when you have a kid, there's always a way. Soon enough, Older Son was donning nothing but his life-jacket (looking slightly like an overdressed Sumo wrestler with his safety cable running through his crotch area) and about ready to take the plunge. The Lovely Wife changed into a T-shirt and ditched her shorts and quickly leapt into the cove.

It would be a gross exaggeration to say that within seconds Older Son was begging to take a swim (20 sessions of Parent-Tot swim class clearly paying off at this point), and for about ten minutes they swam together off the dock and around the boat. When The Lovely Wife decided it was time to get out, she urged me to take the plunge. (I was also not swim-prepared.) I resisted. It felt cold! She pressured, claiming I'd be glad I did it (she also uses this tactic to get me to go for a run.)  And so, having lost all public humility, I stripped off the shorts and dove in wearing nothing but my Calvins.

And you know what? It was awesome. Being a prairie boy, I'm not used to swimming in waters where jellyfish and other "dangerous" creatures live, so it's not easy to get me to swim in the ocean. But I'm learning.

We got home and realised that it was 29C outside. Nearly sweltering, I tellya. But I don't think I could have written a better Saturday. Well...A better Saturday would have included pictures, but instead I'll pretend I benefitted from not having to be a slave to the camera.

PS: All the pics and updates from BlogHer are driving me crazy. To meet all my favourite bloggers? So cool. To be surrounded by so many celebloggers? Maybe a little too intimidating. Will I have to make up for it by getting my butt to TequilaCon'07?

Powered by Qumana

Steph said... 12:11 AM, July 30, 2006

Hey Mikestand,

Friends don't let friends drink and comment.
Heh heh.

Took a quick breeze through your blog. I know some local indy bands you might like or at least like to investigate.

Hey, did The Lovely Wife go to Dal, perchance? She looks familiar.

Take care. And watch the tipsy blogging. That's how Heather Armstrong ended up living off blogvertising.

canadian sadie said... 8:03 PM, July 30, 2006

Frankly, Tequilacon'07 sounds a LOT more fun to me than BlogHer. I'd love to meet some of my faves, but at the same time...that much ego-stroking in one room might push me over the edge if there was no booze!

Christine said... 8:43 AM, July 31, 2006

hahah.. i think having a blogging conference is kind of stupid and vaguely pathetic. don't get me wrong, i enjoy the pseudo-power of having people read my words and come back every day, but to make it more than it is (an online diary, really) is a symptom of mental illness. not that i'm one to judge.

maybe i'm just not "celebrated" enough?

i'm probably not invited because instead of stroking an ego, i'm more likely to kick them off of their pedastal.

themikestand said... 12:29 PM, July 31, 2006

Steph: Those friends were neither by my side, nor putting the top back on the bottle. Shucks. And yes, she did. Would she know you? Perhaps drop me an email. Also, I will try not to incriminate myself through my blog.

Sadie: I concur. I'm not about to stroke anyone's anything, let alone their egos. Just might be nice to put voices to faces, etc. Hey, we're all human.

Chrstine; No, seriously... Tell us how you really feel! I'm kidding. The celebrity of bloggers is a fascinating thing, and it seems to almost invert itself in time. Heck, one blogger has now become "she who will not be named" for fear of being associated with the "masses". Still, when you actually make friends with people, it's nice to meet them -- and if you're at the conferences to learn to write better or to market yourself (as some ostensibly are), rather than self-congratulate, those conferences seem more useful.

Christine said... 7:11 PM, July 31, 2006

okay. to be completely fair, i decided to google it, and see what people are writing about it.

still seems a bit creepy to me, although i understand your bit about putting faces and voices to writing. i get that. there are a few people i wouldn't mind meeting from blog-land. however, having said that, i picture it much like any other internet gathering (talkers, mudds, anyone?) where you meet a FEW interesting people, and the rest are fat, lazy, socially inept people who can't make it in the real world.

perhaps that's harsh?

as for "marketing" oneself, get an editor. i equate blogging with karioke: its for fun, not profit. i have no misdirected dreams of being "discovered" as a writer. that comes with work. i take irl workshops, send off freelancing crap that never gets published, and generally pay my dues.

and.. really.. can i put a blogging award on my resume? don't you think a prospective boss would just look at that and say, "whack job"?

Dustin said... 8:29 PM, July 31, 2006

All your talk of "Celsius this" and "Celsius that." Next you'll be complaining about the distance to Portland in terms of metric.

Tell you what, when you get to TequilaCon'07 I'll let you order me a drink in millimeters. =)

themikestand said... 9:07 PM, July 31, 2006

Christine: I've been to a few "meetups" and yes, they're often chock full of socially inept nerds (not the cool kind, either). And marketing oneself could be for advertising purposes. It's not hard to see that some people can make good money without publishing anything in novel form.

I also point out you used the term "irl", so if I were you, I'd avoid pots, kettles, and mirrors. ;)

Dustin: 6,178 km

jenny said... 12:42 AM, August 01, 2006

Mike: I see that Dustin has made things clear for you. But just to reinforce, there's no maybe about it. You need to pack your bags, go next door to pick up Sween, and get thee to Portland!

TequilaCon is all about the love. The love of meeting near strangers in dark bars and talking about blogrolls and Flickr accounts. Add a nice single malt to the mix, and what more could you ask for?