Scotch Watch II - Dalwhinnie 15 yo

Welcome to another episode of Scotch Watch. This week's subject is Dalwhinnie 15 year old, purchased for C$58 plus tax (so about $65) at my local liquor store.

As I progressed through the tasting process (the unwrapping, the pour, etc), I decided I definitely have tried this before. But hey, it never hurts to have a good bottle in the cupboard. Or two, or three. Or eleven.

Let's go, shall we?

Scotch: Dalwhinnie Single Highland Malt - 15 Year Old
Price: C$58

IMG_1892
The Specimen
The box promises a "delightlfully gentle, delicately smoky malt." We shall see.

IMG_1895
The Dram

Nice colour. Seems a little paler than the last dram I poured.

IMG_1896
The Taste
This time, I chose to go without ice right off the bat. I figured I'd get the full effect of the scotch (i.e. the delicately smoky malt). I was not to be disappointed.

IMG_1898
Consideration
Nice! A rough beginning, with some heat. I won't pretend I tasted vanilla, sherry, oak, or chocolate covered strawberries. Or maybe I tasted all that.

IMG_1899
Mmm, sassy.

IMG_1901
Complex finish. Ok, I don't know what that even means.

a quickr pickr post

I haven't yet considered whether I'll rank these, or just go on an enjoyment scale of 1-10. If last week's bottle was a 6 (far better than Johnny Walker, Chivas, and Ballantine's), I'd rate this about a 7.5.  A decent amount of heat, not terribly peaty, possibly even a little sweet. It has a good finish. I imagine this is what is referred to as a "very accessible single malt."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What will be next? The polls are back open again. Also, I've recently learned that the Port of Wines specialty store nearby has a much, much greater scotch selection. So the sky (and my wallet) is the limit.

Powered by
Qumana

jenny said... 10:17 PM, May 12, 2006

Would I ever say "I told you so," to a fellow scotch lover? Never! Just a bit too smoky for my taste, but glad you enjoyed it! You should definitely at some point add the Balvenie Doublewood to your list (I'm sipping it right now, in fact) - you won't be disappointed. I've had the 15-year and didn't like it nearly as much as the 12-year.

And a quick search led me to this site I thought you might enjoy - I may try some of the recommendations next myself!

Mocha said... 8:32 AM, May 13, 2006

Huh. You've got a "scotch watch". Very cute. However...

...if you did it as much as my cuppa the day over at my MSN site, you'd be an alcoholic.

Wait. Are you?

Ok, you know when you say something and you laugh and think it's funny and then you're not sure if you just stepped on someone's toes about it?

Wow. It *is* just me. Guess I should stop. ;-)

themikestand said... 9:22 AM, May 15, 2006

Jenny: I"ll look into the Balvenie Doublewood, for certain. With the at-least-half-full bottle of Bal in the cupboard right now, I may wait a little while though. And thanks for the link. I'll while away my last two days of work perusing it :)

mocha: Thanks. We try to be cute. And when I'm not reading about scotch today, I'll go read about your coffee fixation, er... affinity. Fear not, you're funny. And my love for scotch is also only an affinity.

Tom Stormcrowe said... 11:21 AM, May 16, 2006

Personally, I like an old Peaty tasting singlemalt.

themikestand said... 11:49 AM, May 16, 2006

tom:
I didn't mean to convey that peaty = "bad"... there are varying degrees of peaty-ness I will accept. Lagavulin, for instance, is definitely on the upper end of things, which isn't a bad choice at all, depending on my mood.

And hey, thanks for stopping by!

gingajoy said... 12:20 PM, May 19, 2006

the "peaty" aspect is not my cup of tea, have to say. but my hubs loves the stuff the more it tastes like paraffin oil. i like smoother stuff. but i also seagrams, so who am I to judge?

sassyk said... 11:54 AM, June 01, 2006

I've never quite managed to "get" the whole scotch thing. It looks so civilised and worldly, yet to me tastes like stale cigarettes soaked in vodka. Geroosss.

I must admit though your pictures make me believe in scotch. Make it seem to classy, debonair and cultured. Keep drinking and I will keep taking your word for it!