Moron, er... More on scotch

Time for a little reader input. I perused the Scotch aisle of my local liquor store today, and found the following spirits to choose from (I've omitted anything over C$90, just so you know.)
So, if you care...what do you think should be the topic of the next Scotch Watch?

note: the numbers in brackets are the scores given by a true scotch snob at maltmadness.com.

Glenfiddich 12 year old: $39.99 (62-73)
Glenfiddich Solera Reserve: $55.79 (73-77)
The Six Isles: $45.99 (?) ALERT! BLEND! ALERT
Glenlivet 12 year old: $39.78 (71-76)
Glenkinchie: $iforgottowritedowntheprice (might be $53.12 if it's the 10 year old or $73.29 if it's the distiller's edition) (66-83)
Cragganmore: $85.48 (74-82)
Talisker: $85.48 (78+)
Dalwhinnie 15 year old: $64.78 (72)
Bruichladdich 10 year old: $65.99 (73-77) Ramzi sez, "don't go there"
Bruichladdich 14 year old: $82.49 (75-87)
Arran: $48.79 (61-81)
Arran non-chillfiltered: $53.99 (67)
Arran malt: $56.49 (?)
Ardbeg 10 year old: $58.99 (79-89)
Glenmoranghie 10 year old: $46.99 (65-81)
Bowmore 17 year old: $78.79 (65-84)

I've also got a bottle of Balvenie 10 year old and some Oban in the cupboard, but where's the fun in that?

I'll leave the voting open until end-of-workday Friday. Slainte!

Dustin said... 9:39 AM, May 11, 2006

There are liquors that cost more than $17.99?

Oh wait, you're talking about the ones that come in the glass bottles. I only do plastic.

themikestand said... 9:45 AM, May 11, 2006

Does this mean you aren't voting for something? Heh.

I'm not really a snobby drinker. Unless it's beer. Or scotch. And sometimes wine.

OK, maybe I'm a little snobby.

But hey, at least you're not drinking wine out of juice boxes.

Ramzi said... 12:13 PM, May 11, 2006

Can I give a negative vote for Bruichladdich 10 year old? I got it at those liquor barns in New Hampshire once, and was thoroughly unimpressed. But then again, I'm don't know what I like/dislike about much in life anyway. As for a positive vote, hmm...I'm curious about Talisker and Cragganmore, but to be fair to your wallet, what about Dalwhinnie?

sween said... 12:34 PM, May 11, 2006

I think you should try the Flaffldoogle. Or maybe the Snarpsisken. Alsways wondered about the Snarpsisken.

themikestand said... 1:51 PM, May 11, 2006

ramz: You can most certainly dis-vote the Bruichladdich (or anything else). Thanks for the warning.

After reading more on the maltmadness website, it seems this guy's keen on the really peaty malts (like Lagavulin), which might take some getting used to before I shell out $100 for a bottle.

The Dalwhinnie just might win out. I might have tried it before, but it seems like a solid choice. Either that or the Ardbeg.

If you're interested in coming over for the tasting, email me and we'll find a good night!

jenny said... 6:47 PM, May 12, 2006

I'm writing in my vote of Balvenie 12-year Doublewood (should be somewhere around US$40). It's my all-time favorite.

I had Dalwhinnie once, not sure if it was the same as the one you listed, but it tasted kind of like cigarette ashes to me. Didn't like it much.

themikestand said... 8:28 PM, May 12, 2006

To the possible deight of Ramzi, and the "i-told-you-so"-ness of Jenny, the selection was the Dalwhinnie.

I think I've actually had it before, but no matter.

The Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr will possibly be next... though I have a bottle of Balvenie 10 yr Founder's Reserve in the cupboard already.