Coffee Talk

A quick shot (at the US?):

This morning, while sitting in the Tan Van, I decided to order something off the menu at Steve-O-Reno's Cappuccino drive-thru. My lovely wife ordered a decaf latte with skim milk (refusing to use the Starbucky term "skinny"), and I ordered a Cafe Canadiana.  Because the rest of the world is wondering just what that is (and if it comes with back bacon or beer), I'll tell you.

Cafe Canadiana:
"A shot of espresso in French Roast coffee"

By way of comparison...

Cafe Americano:
"A shot of espresso in hot water."

Now I don't know if this is some sort of creative invention to make Canadians seem more "hardcore" in their coffee consumption, but I must not only tip my hat to the inventor, but also to the creater of my lovely cup of heaven -- because, Canadian or not, it was divine.

Powered by Qumana

Sassy said... 11:02 AM, May 23, 2006

Espresso in hot water has always sounded really disgusting to me for some reason. But espresso in French Roast? That makes my eyelids start twitching at the thought of that much strong caffeine!

Miss you on the blog...

Big Daddy said... 5:48 PM, May 23, 2006

If it's made right, an Americano is awesome.

It's because instead of going through a paper filter, the espresso gets pressurized/pushed through the mesh on the handle, extracting all the fats and lipids in the coffee bean.

Paper filters usually suck up most of the fats/lipids and weaken the taste.

[Yes, I was a coffee geek as I managed a coffee shop].

jenB said... 12:57 AM, May 25, 2006

stronger coffee, stronger beer, weaker cigarettes. there is a thesis there just waiting to be writtien.

sassyk said... 11:47 AM, June 01, 2006

I get made fun of all the time here in Europe (those pesky Italians are uber coffee snobs)because I love Americanos but here's the thing. I like it STRONG and sometimes that Americano with an extra shot still needs more kick to my taste. I am all for the Cafe Canadiana. I shall try and revolutionise the Europeans to Canadian coffee tastes. There little wussy espressos have nuthin' on Canadianas!

Anonymous said... 7:36 AM, June 16, 2006

First time I had a "Canadiana" was at a small roastery in Calgary. There it was double espresso with french roast and they called it "High Test". It was a big hit with the bike couriers.

themikestand said... 8:33 AM, June 16, 2006

Anonymous:
A DOUBLE? Sweet. Sign me up.

(sign me up for the bike courier gig, too!)