I'm sorry, could you spell that?

For anyone who does not already know, my wife is 9 months pregnant. Actually, the due date is Thursday, so she's really more like 9.25 months pregnant (it's complicated math that only women understand, so I usually just smile and nod thoughtfully). Anyway, we do not know the gender of the upcoming baby, so we're working on names.

Inspired by NotWithoutMyHandbag's "Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing" as to how carefully one should name their child so as to avoid complete and utter ridicule by the rest of the world, we're once again considering names (don't believe me? check out Part VI: When You're in Love, The Whole World's Welsh.)

We've also been known to try out baby names on Sunday afternoons, using famous NFL player names (par example: Cosey, Antowain, LaDanian, Terell, JaMarcus... the list goes on). Usually that discussion ends in fits of laughter.

The problem with names this time around is that we feel like we hit upon such a great name for the first-born. Sure, he could have been any number of great names, but we're quite pleased with his name -- and we didn't really have any back-ups. To add to the issue is that his if-he-was-a-female name is so bloody popular these days that we've scratched it from our list altogether. So now we're facing a double challenge: finding a "just as perfect" boy name, and a new girl name. Also, we like more traditional names, but not so common that the child will go around stating his/her name with the last name initial tagged on. For years, I was "Mike M", and though it never bothered me, it would be nice if there weren't four or five instances of our child's name in his/her grade 1 class.

My wife's been having "it's a boy" dreams, and I've had two "it's a girl" dreams that I can think of. We sort of knew all along that the soon-to-be big brother was a boy. We just had a feeling, so we weren't married to any of the girl names we had picked out. There's also some mixed, unofficial tradition that we could choose to adhere to, but that might involve giving the child two middle names, which I'm not sure I'm interested in doing.

I'm starting to think this child better come out talking, or with a "Hello! My name is" nametag plastered to it.

Perhaps I should stop worrying about names and go back to worrying about the delivery. Yikes.

So let's hear it. What names are good, but not too popular? And don't give me any of YOUR future child's names unless you want them stolen.

bipolarbear said... 12:59 PM, December 13, 2005

congrats on the due date, now go fucking comment back.
love,
me.

Charlatan said... 1:46 PM, December 13, 2005

The naming of child (by the way, congrats on number 2!) can be quite trying...

With our first born, we had a list of girls names but only one boy name. As luck would have it he was a boy.

Our daughter was another story. She went for nearly a month with no name. Finally, we agreed upon Zara and it stuck. Then began the battle over how to spell it. Zahra, Zarha, Zara, Xara, Zhara... I had liked Zahra the best but my wife did an end run at with the Birth Certificate and settled on Zara.

It suits her.

Good luck!

bipolarbear said... 9:47 AM, December 15, 2005
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
bipolarbear said... 9:49 AM, December 15, 2005

Xander. Or Chandler. Good, huh?
There was something I liked but I can't put my finger on it. I'll think about it.
Is it a boy or a girl? Zara is actually a pretty cool name. Or Fiona. Or Aurora, if you like Disney. NOT Ariel. Maybe Natasha, though, what are the chances she'd turn out that hot?

btw, you suck.

themikestand said... 9:52 AM, December 15, 2005

I think Xander might get me either a) uncontrolled laughter from my wife, or b) kicked out of the house. Chandler? Umm, no.

Fiona was on the table at one time. I should float that out there again to see what sort of reaction it gets. Kinda fits in with my love of not-totally-strange celtic names without getting too hard to spell.

We don't know if it's a boy or a girl... we'll wait for visual evidence on that one.

Natasha is a great name. Seems somehow wrong to attach an eastern european / Russian name onto a Scottish last name -- which is something that keeps me from going with some really rockin' names. Call me conservative.

bipolarbear said... 2:14 PM, December 15, 2005

I think I'd rather just call you an idiot.

sween said... 4:01 PM, December 16, 2005

Have you taken a look at the Baby Name Wizard? Pretty interesting...

themikestand said... 4:12 PM, December 16, 2005

Holy Mackinaw. That is one cool website. Thanks!

jenB said... 1:36 AM, December 21, 2005

we went to the alberta vital stats website to see which names were most popular and then stayed away from those. could be just us though. im going to look for the url, hang on....http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/information/vs/top10_names.cfm

i know its for redneck alberta. but it is good for a laugh. we like the tradtional names too, thus charlotte, but a boy would have been James.

EXCITING! i am assuming you will post when your sproglet arrives.